Nothing beats a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato sandwich, apart from a Bacon Lettuce and Tomato and Avocado sandwich. Your BLT becomes a BLTA, BLAT or BALT and enters the world of amazing. There are also a couple of tricks get it there.
The bacon needs to be streaky and the bread malted, sourdough or similar.
Crisp bacon, juicy tomatoes, the softness of the avocado and a kick of mustard.
For the perfect BLTA it needs to be served fresh, it will unfortunately lose some of it’s essence and go soggy in a lunch box.
Ingredients – per person
- Malted or Sourdough bread, 2 slices
- Smoked streaky bacon, 5 rashers
- Avocado, 1/2 (or a whole if you’re greedy)
- Gem lettuce, 2 leaves
- Cherry Tomatoes, 4
- Dijon Mustard
- A large non-stick pan
Method – ready in 10 mins
- Prepare the avocado, see tip here
- Put the pan on high heat
- Quickly chop up the tomatoes
- The pan should now be hot enough, so add the bacon to the pan.
- After two minutes turn over
- Then after another minute remove from the pan.
- Turn the pan down slightly and add the bread to the pan to absorb the juices and crispen up, this should take a couple of minutes. Only crispen on one side.
Now it’s time to assemble the sandwich
- Place the bread crispen side up
- Spread avocado on one side and mustard on the other
- On top of the avcado place the letttuce and then tomatoes
- Place the bacon on top of this, then the other slice of bread
- Flip over, cut in half and serve