I used to make Shakshucka every other week, as a mid week meal. Sweet oven baked sauce and runny eggs served with tiny roast potatoes was the perfect mid winter comfort dish. I’d nearly forgotten about baked eggs until on trip to London we came across Princi on Wardour st, just off Oxford St.
It was late morning and we ravenously ordered ordered pastries, drinks and oven baked eggs at the counter. The eggs arrived in cast iron skillets and were an amazing combination of roasted cherry tomatoes, a hint of spice and velvety runny eggs. Needless to say the Oven Baked eggs at Princi led me to have another go when I got home.
I unfortunately don’t have individual skillets, but these enamel trays work perfectly. Just pop on an oven-proof mat and eat straight out the tray.
Ingredients, for 2
- 15/20 cherry tomatoes – halved
- 1 tin tomatoes
- 4 cloves of garlic, skin on
- 1 onion, sliced
- 1 red pepper, sliced
- 1 tsp Oregano
- 1 tsp smoked paprika or you could use harissa
- Four eggs
It works better if you have an oven proof dish for each person or use roasting tray.
- Preheat oven at 180.
- Split the oil, herbs and spices between the trays and mix together.
- Then split the garlic, onion and pepper between the trays and coat in the oil.
- Put in the oven.
- Bake for 15 mins, then remove from the oven. Take out the garlic, remove ski and squash. Then add back to the trays.
- Now add half the tomatoes and have a tin of tomatoes to each tray. Mix and put back in the oven for 10 mins.
- Then get back the oven and make two wells in the middle of each dish, they need to have a good lip in between to stop the egg spilling out.
- Crack an egg into each one.
- Put back in the oven for 5-6 mins until the eggs are just set.
- Remove from the oven and allow the dishes to cool for 5 mins, this also allows the eggs to cook through.
- Serve with thin toasts or a Chucky Bread to mop up the sauce.