Garlic chicken and potatoes all in a tray.. this is my ideal midweek meal. It’s simple, really tasty and allows me to get out the house/home office and get a bit of exercise in the evening sun.
Prep, jump on my bike (or you could run, chill, whatever you want to) come back 30 minutes later and finish off the dish.
If you can marinade the chicken beforehand, then you basically chuck everything on the tray, mix it up and put in the oven.
Then you can go and do what you want, come back 30-35 mins later, give a turn, add the feta and put back in the oven for 10 minutes.
You can simply serve it this way.
Another option at this point is to put the chicken and potatoes on another tray and add a tin of tomatoes to the first tray. Put them both back in the oven and you’ll have an amazing garlicky sauce to go with it.
Ingredients – serves a family of 4
- 3 chicken legs
- 1kg new potatoes
- 8 cloves of garlic
- 1 onion
- 1 pepper
- 1 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp rosemary
- 1 tsp thyme
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3-4 slices of feta
- 1 tin chopped tomatoes
- 2-8 hours before you want to eat marinade the chicken, if you’re rushed you can get away with lout it, but the dish will miss depth of flavour.
- To make the marinade Crush the garlic cloves and put in a bowl with the herbs, oil and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Then add the chicken and coat all the pieces in the sauce. Cover and put in the fridge.
Now go about your day
1 hour before you want to eat
If you are going for a run or a ride get ready first.
- Put the oven on at 180c
- Get out a large baking tray and remove the chicken from the marinade and put in one corner of the tray.
- Then pour the marinade in the centre of the tray.
- Halve all the potatoes and put on the tray.
- Then slice the onion and pepper and add to the tray.
- Mix through the marinade, then arrange the veg and chicken on the tray.
- Put in the oven in a middle shelf and run away.
30 minutes later
Remove the tray from the oven, there are two options:
- Sprinkle with feta and put back in the oven, then serve with a simple salad
- Make a lovely roast garlicky tomato sauce
To make the tomato sauce
- Remove the chicken and potatoes and put on another tray. Remove the garlic cloves and take off the skin
- Then add a tin of tomatoes and garlic to the roasted veg and mix through. Place the tray back in the oven.
- Crumble the feta over the chicken and potatoes and put back in the oven.
- After 10-15 minutes it’ll be ready. The potatoes should be crisp and the sauce thickened.
I tend to take the chicken off the bone, to make it easier for my kids, but you could just serve it in the tray at the table.