To be blunt if you’ve never tried them you’re missing out and if you’ve never made them yourself you should, because they’re so simple and amazing.
All you need is:
- A block of halloumi
- 2 tbsp plain flour
- 2 tsp of harissa or paprika
- Vegetable oil
- Greek or plain yogurt to serve
They need about 5 minutes to cook and must be served hot.
- Cut the halloumi into sticks.
- Mix the flour and spices
- Add the halloumi and coat in flour
- Add enough oil to cover the base of a frying pan, about 1cm deep and heat.
- Add a small piece of halloumi to check it’s hot enough. It should bubble and cackle when it hits the oil.
- Then cook the halloumi in batches, so there’s a single layer in the pan
- They need about 2 mins on each side, turn when golden.
- Once cooked remove and place on kitchen towel to drain
- Serve and fight for the best ones