Everyone loves baked beans, but most people buy or use the tinned variety. I’m the same and I always have a stock in the cupboard. However every once in a while if you want to make your meal extra special make your own.
They are surprisingly easy to make, a joy to eat and work really well with pulled pork, sausages or on a slice of sourdough.
My family’s current combo of choice is pulled pork, homemade baked beans and baked sweet potatoes.
You’ll need a large saucepan or a pot to make them, you can also double the quantities and use over two days or freeze half.
- 2 tins of haricot beans
- 100g pancetta
- 200g passatta
- 1 onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 1 tsp honey
- 2 bay leaves
- Heat a stockpot or large saucepan with a tablespoon of oil.
- Once hot add the pancetta and fry until golden.
- Then turn the heat down and add the onions and garlic.
- Fry for a couple of minutes until they start to soften.
- Drain one of the cans of beans and add to the pan. Then add the other with the water.
- Add the remain ingredients and stir through.
- Bring to a simmer and leave for 30 minutes.
- Before serving rescue the bay leaves.
Check the seasoning and add salt and pepper as necessary. Then serve.