In the holidays my kids asked if we could have Homemade Sausage Rolls and chips for tea. I don’t have the time or talent to make the pastry these are a step above anything in the Supermarket. They are really easy to make and you’ll never look back.
They take 10 minutes to make and taste amazing and are just beautiful straight from the oven.
If you want to make them you’ll need:
- 1 pack puff pastry, 500g
- 1 pack sausage meat, 200g
- 4 rashers streaky bacon, chopped
- 1/2 an onion, chopped
- A clove of garlic, chopped
- 1 sprig of rosemary, leaves only and chopped
- 1 egg, whisked
- a baking tray covered in parchment
- A pastry brush
- Firstly heat a pan and once hot add the bacon.
- Once it starts to crispen add the onion, garlic and rosemary.
- Turn the heat down and fry for 5 minutes, then turn onto a chopping board and allow to cool.
- At this point put the oven on at 180 to warm up.
- Place the sausage meat in a bowl, add the the bacon mixture and mix through.
- Roll out the pastry into a rectangle until it’s about 4mm thick and cut in half down the middle. Each strip should be about 10cm wide
- Place a line of sausage meat down the centre of each strip and roll the pastry over the top.
- You only need a strip about 2cm wide, so you may need to trim down.
- Once trimmed down brush this strip with egg and push the roll on the top.
- Repeat with the other piece of pastry.
- Take the two rolls and cut into 4cm pieces.
- Put a piece of parchment on the baking tray and place all the rolls on the tray.
- Brush each the surface of each roll with more egg.
- Cook for 25 minutes.
Check that the pastry is cooked through and place to cool on rack… don’t burn your mouth!
These homemade sausage rolls are great on their own or make them more grown up and serve with spicy sweet potatoes