This is and easy no hassle chicken dish. Roasted chicken leg with a oven baked tomato sauce that goes all sweet and gooey.
This delightful dish was magicked up due to plain poor food planning. That and the need to cook around family activities.
- 4 chicken legs
- 1 onions
- 2 peppers,
- 1 courgette
- 4 garlic cloves
- 2 tins of tomato
- 3 tsp smoked paprika, I swear by La Chinata Sweet Smoked Paprika
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp allspice
- 3 tbsp rapeseed oil
- Roasting dish
- Pan for rice
1 hour before you eat
1. Put the oven on at 220c
2. Add the herbs, spices and oil in the roasting dish and mix together.
3. Add chicken and coat both sides in marinade. Then stack to one side of the tray.
4. Roughly chop the onion and pepper and add to the tray.
5. Top and tail the courgette, then slice lengthways. Then roughly chop. Add to the tray.
6. Now throw in the whole garlic cloves, skins still on.
7. Mix through and make sure everything’s coated in the marinade.
45mins before you eat
8. The oven should have warmed up by now so add the tray and turn the temperature down to 180c.
9. You’ve now got 15 mins to spare.
30mins before you eat
10. Put the kettle on for the rice.
11. Get the tray out the oven, turn the veg and make space to add the tinned tomatoes.
12. Add tinned tomatoes (it doesn’t matter if it touch’s some of the veg/ chicken) and return into the oven.
13. Put the rice on, for 4 people it will be 2 cups of rice and 4 cups of water, perfect rice.
14. Another 10 mins to chat or run around.
5mins before you eat
15. Check the rice, should be nearly done
16. Remove tray from the oven. Take the chicken out and place on a plate, then mix the sauce together.
17. You can either serve the chicken legs whole or carve up and mix into the sauce
A variation of this dish is my Oven baked Chicken and Aubergine Chilli